Thursday, September 13, 2007

That Deprevation Assignment Is Really Going to Suck

BLOG 2 (Due Thurs.) Analyze Your Media Habits - Think about the many different ways to define media. Focus on the things that are most important to you. (Possible questions to consider: What are your current media habits?  How and why have they changed over time?  Who has influenced your relationship with media?  How do you envision your media habits changing in the future?)

I have six email addresses. No, seriously, I have six email addresses that I check at least daily. In combination with Instant Messenger, and my glorious Gold Razr, I'd say it's pretty unlikely I'll ever be unreachable.

Media, to me, is anything that aids or enhances communication. The use of media is due to necessity (I really do use all six), if we no longer need it, we'll no longer use it. When was the last time you used a telegraph?

From the age of 12 my primary form of communication has been my computer. If you were to add up the amount of instant messages, text messages, and emails I've sent in my life the numbers would be astronomical--not to mention the social networking sites that I use more often than I should. Therefore, my computer is a very essential medium.

I've become very biased towards anything that makes things faster & easier. I bought one paper notebook for school, simply because I have a math class. I think I need to invest in a tablet notebook, though. The computer hasn't destroyed written word, it's enhanced it. Obviously, I'm currently writing a lot faster than I can in that silly notebook.

Since I was 15, print media has been very important to me because of my magazine. It was something I wasn't particularly interested in until I started doing it myself. In addition to my magazine, I've become very attentive of ads, and their involvement in day to day lives, as electronic ads become less prevalent due to pop up blockers, and tivo. The presence of print ads still remains relevant after all these years showing that media isn't completely digital.

In the future I expect more of the same progression, but like radio in comparison to television, print will always be relevant regardless of what's available online. I'll never revert completely to my computer (It crashes too often, and I like tangible copies of important things). Remember in sixth grade when they started making you type your paper and print in out? Notice how we're still doing that, even more now.

Just for the record: I'm still waiting on those awesome video conversations in every home like in Back To The Future, though.

4 comments:

Si said...

A tablet PC...that is my dream computer. Not because of taking notes, but because of my artwork.

Anyway, computers are a major form of media for me too. I know how addicting social networking sites and the like can be. And six emails is a bit much, but I think I have like four or five so I can't talk!

Sabrina said...

Six e-mails... wow. Haha. I don't think I could keep up. I like having things on paper also, computers haven't quite been perfected.

Kelly said...

I have four different email addresses, and I still find it absolutely necessary to have all of them. It just makes life that much easier.

I also only have one notebook. I think once I became proficient at typing, my handwriting has gotten worse. I hate to write things out now; I just can't do it. If my laptop didn't die, I would bring a computer to all of my classes.

My dad used to have a tablet PC. I still want one to play with. I think they are fascinating! I hope you get one someday!

Charm City Brendan said...

Oh man, I once saw a converted Powerbook, sooo very nice. I wonder if the company that made those are working on a Macbook Pro table. I bet it'd be dreamy.

Yeah, we still haven't been able to find a way around printed ads. The same goes for billboards. I almost picked the Billboard Liberation Front's blog for this class. They talk a lot about the very fact that Billboards remain inescapable.